Earlier today, on June 11, 2023, a section of I-95 near the Cottman Avenue exit in Northeast Philadelphia collapsed due to a vehicle fire. According to initial reports, the fire involved a tanker truck. In response, the Pennsylvania State Police closed I-95 in both directions in the vicinity of the incident.The Philadelphia Fire Department managed to contain the fire this morning. Numerous local and state organizations are working together to assist affected residents and travelers due to the road closure. Additional information will be provided as soon as it is available.
Guidance for residents and visitors
- Officials provided an update at 5 p.m. about the response to this incident. Watch the update here.
- SEPTA is adding extra capacity and service. Residents are encouraged to use SEPTA as an alternative means of travel.
- All lanes of I-95 are closed in both directions between Woodhaven and Aramingo exits.
- Due to the current closure of I-95, complimentary parking is available at some PPA-operated SEPTA train station lots until further notice:
- Fern Rock Rail Station – 10th & Nedro Streets
- Fox Chase Rail Station – 500 Rhawn Street
- Torresdale Rail Station – 4900 Grant Avenue
- Travelers should expect delays and plan alternative travel routes, especially while planning for their weekday commute.
- Residents should continue to set their trash and recycling collections out as normal on their regular trash day and at their regular pickup site. Residents in the northeast area of the city should expect delays in collections.The Streets Department is assessing which areas will be impacted as sanitation trucks will have to be diverted to alternative travel routes. Follow the Streets Department on Twitter for updates.
Detour routes from Penndot
- I-95 Southbound: Route 63 West (Woodhaven Road), U.S. 1 South, 76 East, 676 East
- I-95 Northbound: I-676 West, I-76 West, U.S. 1 North to Route 63 East (Woodhaven Road)
- Visit pa.gov/i95updates for the latest updates on detours and closures
Philadelphia Police Detour and Closure Info along I-95
If you are driving on I-95 near the Cottman Avenue exit, please be aware that the Philadelphia Police will implement closures and detours in the area. The detour route will be monitored by police officers and local businesses and deliveries will still be allowed access. However, you should anticipate some traffic delays along the detour and remember that these measures may be modified.
- Castor Avenue on-ramp for I-95 northbound
- Aramingo Avenue/I-95 on and off-ramps
- On-ramp to I-95 northbound closed
- Betsy Ross off-ramp to I-95 northbound closed
- Bridge Street ramp
- I-95 on-ramp at Bridge Street closed.
- All traffic on Tacony Street will flow northbound only from Bridge Street to New State Road.
- Tacony Street and Tacony-Palmyra Bridge
- Tacony Palmyra Bridge traffic onto Tacony Street closed. All traffic continues westbound onto Levick Street.
- Cottman Avenue exit and State Road closures
- State Road from Cottman Avenue to Longshore Avenue will be one-way, southbound travel only.
- Southbound I-95 detour
- Exit I-95 southbound at Cottman Avenue.
- At the end of the ramp, right on Bleigh Street.
- Follow Bleigh to State Road, make a left onto State.
- Travel State Road South to Longshore Avenue.
- Re-enter I-95 southbound at State Road and Longshore Avenue.
- Northbound I-95 detour
- Exit I-95 at Aramingo Avenue.
- At the end of the ramp, make a left onto Aramingo Avenue.
- Follow Aramingo Avenue to Tacony Street. Turn right.
- Take Tacony Street northbound around Tacony-Palmyra Bridge loop to New State Road. Continue northbound.
- Travel New State Road to Milnor Street and re-enter I-95 northbound.
It is recommended for inhabitants to stay informed about the current situation. The following are sources where you can obtain more information regarding the matter.
- Follow the Office of Emergency Management and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation on Twitter.
- Sign up for emergency alerts by texting ReadyPhila to 888-777.
- Visit pa.gov/i95updates for the latest updates on detours and closures.